1. What is the brief that you have chosen?
• The competition brief that I found and I choose is A’Design Award Competition. ” The A’Design Award and Competition is for designers, innovators, and companies that want to highlight themselves to attract the attention of media, publishers, and buyers.”
• There are hundred of categories in the competition, and I choose one of them which is the number 12th category graphic and visual communication design. It focuses on creating symbols, logos, typography, posters, books and page Layouts, 2D graphics and visual communication and More.
• The Aim of the Graphics and Visual Communication Design Award is to attract the attention of graphics design media, magazines, and industry leads to your business by means of creating publicity and dissemination and also to separate you from the rest of the actors in the advertising and graphics sector by honoring your institution with a prestigious award.
For more information: https://competition.adesignaward.com/competitions/graphicsandadvertisingdesign.html
The image shown above is my initial logo illustration before I start this project, basically it was my fun exercise for a fiction restaurant maybe I will open a business one day. But it looks like turn out to be a serius project at collage and I love working on it.
2. What will be your approach? (The concept/message/ context behind your project)
• I want to create a project about a new branding of restaurant chicken buffet, I interested to create my own brand to open a new restaurant in town. I want to focus the main dish which is chicken but of course, will provide other food as well because it will make something special apart from other buffet restaurant, nowadays people like to eat chicken a lot for example fast food from KFC, Texas Chicken, and so on. The buffet restaurant food is all produced by hand made and fresh healthy ingredient, I want to give people trust to the consumer to eat more healthy food and of course to stand out from other competitors.
3. Who is your target audience?
• The target audience is focusing on the family member, and all aged include worker and student. Because I want to create a friendly environment for everyone and a comfortable approachment for them.
4. What do you plan to achieve? (Example: Educate audience about something?)
• To bring full satisfaction to consumer with affordable cost, healthy, and delicious meal. To stand out from other competitors such as fast food restaurant or other buffet restaurant. To create a memorable experience to consumer with the food provided and services.
• In this project they are several promotional items will be created such as business card, logo, poster, apron, cups, glass, plate, cutlery, menu, and store signboard.
5. What is your proposed project time line?
• Find research references of buffet restaurant brand, identity the important the elements to create a successful brand. (1 week)
• Start to create the original brand identity, produce moodboard and concept or story. (2 weeks)
• Design illustration for the brand value, create a series of design poster or other items and some tryouts sketches or design.(3 weeks)
• Produce a publication of the artworks through taking photograph or a booklet to promote the project.(1 week)
Research & References
High Obesity Rate In Malaysia Due To Unhealthy Eating Habits
- The availability of the 24-hour ‘mamak’ restaurants, fast foods and hawker stalls have enable people to have meals round the clock
- The obesity rate in Malaysia is said to be the highest in Asia.
- According to a 2013 findings from a British medical journal, The Lancet, 49 percent of women and 45 percent of men in Malaysia were found to be obese.Source from Malaysian Digest
“Many foods are heavily processed and laden with preservatives.” (Colleen, 2017)
People like all-you-can-eat buffets because they offer a lot of food for a reasonable price. That means the food, however, is most likely highly processed, and therefore contains a number of potentially unhealthy preservatives and chemicals.
Kitchen Art Brasserie
Located at Empire Subang, Jalan SS16/1, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Located at Sunway Pyramid, 3, Jalan PJS 11/15, Bandar Sunway, 46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Flaming Steambot Buffet
Located at No. 123 & 124, Jalan PJS11/2, Spectrum Shops, Bandar Sunway, 46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Hartz Chicken Buffet
#1 Located at Ground Floor, Menara Summit, Persiaran Kewajipan USJ 1, 47000, UEP Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
#2 Located at Sarawak Plaza Shopping Complex, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman, 93100 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
So basically this chicken buffet restaurant inspired me at the beginning, it’s special because it focus on one ingredient meal which is chicken and I want to stand out from others buffet in my area Subang Jaya. I want to create a healthy preparation chicken meal for everyone which people can enjoy delicious food, traditional herbs and spices ingredient, and effortless price for those family members have no time to cook at home can come to this restaurant.
I am Starting to get some fresh ideas needed some visual references from internet, so these kind of design style can be used in the project it very illustrative and family friendly design.
This is my very early stage before I start this project, basically this just a illustration for fun previously for a fictional chicken restaurant. But After that, I make this thing into a serious project which come out with a healthy chicken restaurant buffet providing effortless price and delicious meal in a good manner preperation.
I want to create something comfortable to see and for family friendly therefore I create a cute illustration chicken as a logo.
Kai Kai means “chicken chicken” in my Hakka Language, it sounds funny and memorable.
Herby & Spicy CHICKS sounds inviting people to seek the restaurant and felt trust what it should provide the meal to customers, because the selling point is natural ingredient therefore it must include or relate into the logo.
CHICKS – Healthy Chicken Buffet, the name keeps it simple and memorable with sub-title below gives a clear selling point what the brand standing for. The herbs as a tail of the chicken represent the whole idea of natural ingredient.
So this is the end for now, I will produce more promotional items and improvement in visual design in the future. Stay tune and thank you for watching!